It’s almost time for the one of the best whisky festivals in the world, the FNB Whisky Live Festival to kick off and I can already feel the excitement and mirth of thousands of whisky lovers as the enjoy some of the best on offer.
The festival tickets are now on sale through Webtickets and on the official website www.whiskylivefestival.co.za.
This year you can expect some of the old favourites like the educational workshops and canape pairing zone. More than 20 000 people are expected to attend the festival, which will be taking place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from 3 October 2012 – 5 October 2012, at the Durban International Convention Centre, 1 November 2012 – 2 November 2012 and at the Sandton Convention Centre from 7 November 2012 – 9 November 2012 (18h00 to 22h00 daily at all venues).
Festival co-founder, Sian Neubert had this to say:
“We’re going to show Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg just how much fun it is to unravel the mystery of whisky in a responsible, and educational way,” says Karen Chaloner, co-founder of the festival. “There’s so much more to the FNB Whisky Live Festival than just tasting whisky, so it’s definitely worth planning your evening’s activities. Get your tickets by booking through Webtickets.”
There are quite a few things to do and experience when you’re at the FNB Whisky Live Festival, so to spare you I’m going to list some of the highlights and direct you over to their website for a more detail look, should you need it.
• Meet and greet with some rather knowledgeable people like Compass Box founder and Maverick Whisky Maker, John Glaser, Ian McMillian (Master Distiller of Bunnahabhain), Karen Fullerton of Glenmorangie, Martine Nouet (food guru) and Dave Broom (he’s a big deal).
• The Tasting Room Mini-Workshops: Offered in the Whisky Lifestyle Lounge. These workshops are 25 minutes long and are hosted by the most passionate experts from the fold.
• The Pick n Pay Canapé and Whisky Pairing Zone: Food and whisky guru Martine Nouet shows you how to pair whisky with canapés- so next time you have a sophisticated dinner party you know what to get.
• The Schweppes Art of Whisky Cocktail Making Zone: Cape Town and Johannesburg festival goers get to learn the art of cocktail mixing with Schweppes’ premium range of mixers.
• The Thirst Cocktail Bar: Thirst is going to add a taste of molecular whisky cocktails in the Whisky Lifestyle Lounge as well as to the public (awesome).
• Get your very own FNB Whisky Live Festival Special Bottling, a hand-filled single cask No. 10 bottling of The GlenDronach 1993 vintage, 19 years old. A rare collector’s item to
commemorate the 10th Anniversary.
Ticket options: A number of ticket options are available through Webtickets
• Tasting Hall tickets cost R185 – R210 each
• Whisky Workshop tickets cost R100 – R110 each
• Group bookings (10 or more):
o Tasting Hall: R148 – R168 per person
o Whisky Workshop: R80 – R88 per person
Combo tickets: A Tasting Hall plus Whisky Workshop ticket costs R257 – R275
Two and three-day Tasting Hall tickets cost:
o R310 – R325 per person and R465 – R490 per person respectively
The Whisky Lifestyle Lounge, incorporating the Boutique Whisky Bar Tasting Room, cost R640 per person – perfect for networking and client entertainment The Connoisseur’s Experience – presented in association with Hertz Chauffeur Drive – the ultimate guided tour costs R675 per person.The designated driver ticket costs R90 per person
For more information please visit the website www.whiskylivefestival.co.za or e-mail
The FNB Whisky Live Festival promotes responsible drinking. No persons under the age of 18 years old will be allowed into the Tasting Hall. Designated driver tickets are available with discounted food vouchers and a bottle of Valpré mineral water included in the ticket price. Various chauffeur drive services and drive responsibly initiatives will be on hand to ensure that everyone in your party is able to have a good time and a safe journey home. Part of the ticket proceeds will continue to be donated to The Foundation for Alcohol Related Research.
We’re giving away 2 double tickets to the Cape Town leg of the FNB Whisky Live Festival. To win, leave a comment below letting us know what your favourite whisky is/which whisky you’re most excited about tasting. Winners announced on Tuesday at 5pm.